San Jose Internet | Service Providers in San Jose
Find and compare Internet service providers in San Jose for dial-up Internet service, or high-speed Internet services like fiber optic Internet, DSL, cable Internet, mobile broadband service, and WiMax. Get a price quote on San Jose Internet service from providers in your area for the best rates, and Internet speeds.
About Internet Service in San Jose
San Jose currently provides high-speed internet access to nearly 100 percent of its residents via DSL, Cable, and Wi-fi. The city also touts its “Wickedly Fast” public Wi-Fi service, which is accessible to residents in and around the city’s downtown area. Residents who are looking to take advantage of next generation internet speeds offered by fiber optic networks may have to wait quite some time for this to become a viable option for residential subscribers.
San Jose Quick Facts
- Total Area (sq miles): 163
- Population: 961,054
- Housing Units: 330,510
|San Jose Education Levels||Overall U.S. Education Levels|
|San Jose Resident Incomes||Overall U.S. Incomes|
|$200k or more||5.1%||10.1%|
Internet Access in San Jose
San Jose has higher city connectivity rates than overall U.S. averages when it comes to DSL, Cable, and wireless internet access. When it comes to Fiber internet connectivity, San Jose is truly behind the times. Only 0.9 percent of San Jose residents have the option to choose fiber for their connectivity needs. This is much lower than the overall U.S. rate of 23.3 percent, yet comparable to other major cities in California, with the exception of Los Angeles.
|City Accessibility Rates||Overall U.S. Rates|
Internet Speed in San Jose
Despite the city’s lack of Fiber internet connectivity, San Jose residents do enjoy internet speeds that are on par with most major metropolitan areas of the United States. In fact, internet speeds in San Jose slightly exceed those in neighboring cities such as San Francisco and Santa Cruz.
- Upload Speed: 6.06 Mbps
- Download Speed: 21.96 Mbps
San Jose-Area Providers
The number of ISPs servicing the needs of San Jose residents is comparable to other cities throughout the state of California. Comcast takes on the lion’s share of broadband subscribers who get both cable television and high speed internet. Other options are also available, such as DSL and mobile internet, but subscribers should be aware that speeds may not be as swift as their cable counterpart. Fiber internet access is virtually impossible to take advantage of in San Jose at this time.
For San Jose, the final list of ISPs looks like this:
- Comcast Corporation
- AT&T Inc.
- Verizon Communications Inc.
- Source: BroadbandMap.gov
- Service Areas: Throughout San Jose (service availability and product offerings verified by address)
- Service Tiers: Economy Plus, Performance Starter, Performance, Blast!, Extreme 105
- Downstream Speeds: 3 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 25 Mbps, 50 Mbps, 105 Mbps,
- Monthly Price: $39.95 – $114.95 (city specific pricing not available without signing in with address; discounts not factored into pricing range)
- Features and Limitations: Comcast offers up to five broadband tiers to San Jose residents, which is on par with the number of tiers offered to residents of other major metropolitan areas. As with most Comcast offers, monthly subscriptions can be discounted by bundling with other services, such as home phone or cable TV.
AT&T, Inc. (U-Verse)
- Service Areas: Throughout San Jose (verified by zipcode)
- Service Tiers: Six service tiers separated by maximum downstream speeds.
- Downstream Speeds: 3 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 18 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 45 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $29.95 – $64.95
- Features and Limitations: AT&T provides DSL internet throughout San Jose. When it comes to downstream speeds and the overall cost of the service, consumers will get much more bang for their buck with cable internet. That said, AT&T offers subscribers access to over 30,000 wi-fi hotspots nationwide, which is a definite plus for those on-the-go.
- Service Areas: Throughout San Jose; actual coverage may vary
- Service Tiers: (Data Caps) 500 Mb, 2.5 Gb, 4.5 Gb, 6.5 Gb, 8.5 Gb, 10.5 Gb
- Downstream Speeds: All service options come with 4G LTE mobile speeds (approx. 15-20 Mbps) on the T-Mobile network.
- Monthly Price: $20 – $70
- Features and Limitations: While the downstream speeds offered by T-Mobile’s 4G LTE mobile data network can be comparable to standard cable or DSL speeds, monthly data caps make this service an impractical choice for a household’s primary internet connection. For subscribers who travel a lot, live in an area not serviced by DSL or cable, or generally do not have data-intensive needs, T-Mobile’s service is definitely worth a look.
Verizon Communications Inc.
- Service Areas: Throughout San Jose; actual coverage may vary (verified by address)
- Service Tiers: High Speed Internet and High Speed Internet Enhanced
- Downstream Speeds: 0.5 Mbps – 15 Mbps (varies by location and plan)
- Monthly Price: $19.99 – $29.99
- Features and Limitations: Verizon offers two plans, with variable downstream speeds depending on location and availability. The basic option ranges from 0.5-1 Mbps. The Enhanced option offers speeds that range from 1.1-15 Mbps. Service plans require Verizon home phone service. Subscription rates are fixed for one year only.
City Subscriber Resources
- San Jose Department of Information & Technology: Residents of San Jose can use this website to check up on any information technology news that impacts the city. Residents can also find out more about the city’s “Wickedly Fast” Wi-Fi network that is accessible for free at various areas of the city.
- San Jose Public Library Public Computer/Internet Use Policy: For visitors of the City of San Jose or residents who need access to a public computer and internet connection, the San Jose Public Library is a great place to set up shop. This link provides details on how computers can and cannot be used within the library.