Kansas City Internet | Service Providers in Kansas City
Find and compare Internet service providers in Kansas City for dial-up Internet service, or high-speed Internet services like fiber optic Internet, DSL, cable Internet, mobile broadband service, and WiMax. Get a price quote on Kansas City Internet service from providers in your area for the best rates, and Internet speeds.
About Internet Service in Kansas City
Kansas City residents enjoy Internet speeds that are much faster than national averages, most likely due to the presence of Google Fiber. However, fiber usage only accounts for 4.2% of Internet usage within this city. As Google Fiber support continues to expand throughout Kansas City, we can expect to see this location’s average speeds soar.
Kansas City Quick Facts
- Total Area (sq miles): 285
- Population: 463,741
- Housing Units: 224,622
|Kansas City Education Levels||Overall U.S. Education Levels|
|Kansas City Resident Incomes||Overall U.S. Incomes|
|$200k or more||2.4%||4.2%|
Internet Access in Kansas City
Kansas City’s accessibility rates are higher than national averages for DSL, cable, and wireless connectivity. Despite the presence of Google Fiber within this city, this high-speed option accounts for only 4.2% of Internet accessibility.
|City Accessibility Rates||Overall U.S. Rates|
Internet Speed in Kansas City
Kansas City residents enjoy Internet speeds that are superior to the U.S. and Missouri averages. As Google Fiber expands its infrastructure in this city, residents will most likely see a sharp increase in average Internet speeds. Currently, Belton’s rates exceed Kansas City’s by a significant margin, reaching 70.63 Mbps for downloads. Low-population areas such as Columbia dip down to 15.47 Mbps.
- Upload Speed: 19.06 Mbps
- Download Speed: 29.17 Mbps
- Source: NetIndex.com
Kansas City-Area Providers
The presence of Google Fiber in Kansas City sets this city apart from the rest of the United States. This ISP reaches BroadbandMap.gov
Google Fiber (Plans and Pricing)
- Service Areas: Limited connectivity based on residential address
- Service Tiers: Free Internet and Gigabit Internet
- Downstream Speeds: 5 Mbps and 1,000 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $0 and $70
- Features and Limitations: The free Google Fiber has a downstream speeds that exceeds all of the starting packages for other ISPs in this area. Internet services can be bundled with TV, cloud storage, and mobile tablet plans.
Time Warner Cable (High Speed Internet Plans)
- Service Areas: Availability based on residential address
- Service Tiers: Everyday low price, basic, standard, turbo, extreme, and ultimate.
- Downstream Speeds: 2 Mbps – 50 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $14.99, $29.99, $34.99, $44.99, $54.99, $54.99, and $64.99
- Features and Limitations: Time Warner offers much more affordable pricing tiers than other service providers, however, they also have the lowest starting speeds. Almost all of the tiers require a 12-month contract, with the exception of the “Everyday Low Price” plan.
Verizon (High Speed DSL)
- Service Areas: Throughout Kansas City, coverage depends on exact residence
- Service Tiers: High Speed Internet and High Speed Internet Advanced
- Downstream Speeds: 0.5 Mbps – 15 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $19.99 – $29.99
- Features and Limitations: Verizon’s service is by far the slowest Internet provider. The estimated download time for 10 photos is 8.7 minutes on their basic plan and 4.3 minutes on the higher tier plans, which is extraordinarily slow by national standards.
- Service Areas: Available throughout Kansas City
- Service Tiers: Pro, Elite, Max, Max Plus, Max Turbo, and Power
- Downstream Speeds: 3 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 18 Mbps, 24 Mbps, and 45 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $29.95 – $64.95
- Features and Limitations: AT&T includes a wireless router and security software in their high speed Internet packages. However, their starting plan is quite pricey for extremely low downstream speeds, which also requires a minimum 12-month commitment.
Sprint (Mobile Broadband)
- Service Areas: Available throughout Kansas City
- Service Tiers: Monthly Tablet Plans and Daily, Weekly, or Monthly Wi-Fi Hotspots
- Downstream Speeds: 6-8 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $14.99 – $79.99
- Features and Limitations: Sprint does not offer traditional wired broadband service. Instead, they offer mobile broadband hotspots, allowing you to connect to the Internet while on the go. However, Sprint’s wireless subscribers are subject to much slower Internet speeds than traditional broadband subscribers.
- Service Areas: 4G LTE coverage across Kansas City
- Service Tiers: 500 MB, 2.5 GB, 4.5 GB, 6.5 GB, 8.5 GB, 10.5 GB
- Downstream Speeds: 13.11 Mbps – 36.65 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $20, $30, $40, $50, $60, $70
- Features and Limitations: Users sacrifice Internet speeds for wireless mobility by using 4G LTE data plans. Connectivity may be intermittent, based on cell reception in your current location.
City Subscriber Resources
- Kansas City Information Technology Division: Contact information for the city’s department of technology, which manages public Wi-Fi sources and video surveillance.
- Kansas City Police Department: Internet Fraud: Prevention and response tips for victims of Internet fraud and identity theft.
- Kansas City Public Library: High Speed Wireless Access: Instructions on how to connect to your public library’s free Wi-Fi network.
- Kansas City Public Library: Computer Classes: Free basic Internet and computer training sessions in Kansas City.