Dallas Internet | Service Providers in Dallas
Find and compare Internet service providers in Dallas for dial-up Internet service, or high-speed Internet services like fiber optic Internet, DSL, cable Internet, mobile broadband service, and WiMax. Get a price quote on Dallas Internet service from providers in your area for the best rates, and Internet speeds.
About Internet Service in Dallas
Over the last several years, Dallas has been working hard to provide underserved areas of the city with quality broadband access. As of 2010, the city had a federal funding application pending for over $600,000 to help meet broadband expansion and accessibility goals. Today, 100% of Dallas residents have access to quality internet access via cable or wireless internet.
Dallas Quick Facts
- Total Area (sq miles): 351
- Population: 1,206,020
- Housing Units: 532,380
|Dallas Education Levels||Overall U.S. Education Levels|
|Dallas Resident Incomes||Overall U.S. Incomes|
|$200k or more||5.1%||4.2%|
Internet Access in Dallas
Dallas, like most major American metropolises, has the infrastructure to offer 100% of its residents with quality internet access. Unfortunately, the percentage of Dallas residents with access to fiber internet remains in the single digits. This could mean trouble for Dallas’s ISP market as more and more Americans continue to demand access to the high speeds offered by fiber optic networks.
|City Accessibility Rates||Overall U.S. Rates|
Internet Speed in Dallas
Internet speeds in Dallas still have some catching up to do if the city wants to compete with other major metropolitan areas of the United States. Even within the Texas, Dallas lags behind Austin and Houston by approximately 2 Mbps. On the bright side, Dallas internet speeds are considerably faster than those offered by ISPs in El Paso.
- Upload Speed: 4.88 Mbps
- Download Speed: 16.51 Mbps
- Source: NetIndex.com
The number of providers in Dallas is comparable to that found in most major metropolitan areas of the United States. Consumers will also notice that the key players in the Dallas ISP market are names they are probably very familiar with. Below is a list of four major ISPs that currently service the Dallas-area. Other ISPs currently exist, but only service business clients or offer negligible speeds.
For Dallas, the final list of ISPs looks like this:
- Time Warner Cable Inc.
- Verizon Communications Inc.
- AT&T Inc.
- Source: BroadbandMap.gov
Time Warner Cable, Inc.
- Service Areas: Throughout Dallas (verified zipcode)
- Service Tiers: Everyday Low Price, Basic, Standard, Turbo, Extreme, and Ultimate
- Downstream Speeds: 2 Mbps, 3 Mbps, 15 Mbps, 20 Mbps, 30 Mbps, and 50 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $14.99 – $64.99
- Features and Limitations: While client satisfaction may be a sore spot for Time Warner in the Dallas area, for residential cable internet needs, it is really the only place one can turn to at this time. Free home wifi is included with the Ultimate and Extreme packages. Monthly subscription fees can be significantly reduced when bundled with other products, such as cable TV and home-phone services.
AT&T, Inc. (U-Verse)
- Service Areas: Throughout Dallas (verified by zipcode)
- Service Tiers: Six service tiers separated by maximum downstream speeds.
- Downstream Speeds: 3 Mbps, 6 Mbps, 12 Mbps, 18 Mbps, 24 Mbps, 45 Mbps
- Monthly Price: $24.95 – $64.95
- Features and Limitations: AT&T provides DSL throughout Dallas. When it comes to downstream speeds and the overall cost of the service, consumers will get much more bang for their buck with cable internet (or fiber, where available). That said, AT&T offers subscribers access to over 30,000 wi-fi hotspots nationwide, which is a definite plus for people on-the-go.
- Service Areas: Throughout Dallas; actual coverage may vary
- Service Tiers: (Data Caps) 500 Mb, 2.5 Gb, 4.5 Gb, 6.5 Gb, 8.5 Gb, 10.5 Gb
- Downstream Speeds: All service options come with 4G LTE mobile speeds on the T-Mobile network.
- Monthly Price: $20 – $70
- Features and Limitations: While the downstream speeds offered by T-Mobile’s 4G LTE mobile data network can be comparable to standard cable or DSL speeds, monthly data caps make this service an impractical choice for a household’s primary internet connection. For subscribers who travel a lot, live in an area not serviced by DSL or cable, or generally do not have data-intensive needs, T-Mobile’s service is definitely worth a look.
Verizon Communications Inc.
- Service Areas: Throughout Dallas; actual coverage may vary (verified by address)
- Service Tiers: High Speed Internet and High Speed Internet Enhanced
- Downstream Speeds: 0.5 Mbps – 15 Mbps (varies by location and plan)
- Monthly Price: $19.99 – $29.99
- Features and Limitations: Verizon offers two internet service plans with variable downstream speeds depending on location and availability. The basic option ranges from 0.5-1 Mbps. The Enhanced option offers speeds that range from 1.1-15 Mbps. Service plans require require Verizon home phone service. Subscription rates are fixed for one year only.
Dallas’s Subscriber Resources
- Connected Texas – This portal is a key broadband information resource for all Texas residents. Subscribers in Dallas can use this site to find out more about low cost broadband services in their area as well as the latest news about broadband access and improvements throughout Dallas and the rest of Texas.