Like just about every home service that you sign up for selecting the right Internet service provider takes some careful thought and consideration. There are a tremendous number of plans, packages, and features for you to review and usually a number of great broadband, dialup, and satellite Internet providers for you to choose from. You might also be able to take advantage of fiber or wideband Internet services depending on where you live in the U.S.
1. Discover ALL your choices: Find out which ISP’s service your address.
2. Read the contracts: Don’t get too excited, anxious, or impatient. Read the fine print.
3. Compare apples to apples: Make sure the services are equivalent and to not make it only about price.
4. Best price guarantee: Find a best price guarantee if you can.
5. Know your intended uses: In order to get the right service you need to know how you will use the Internet.
6. Plan for a backup connection: You might want to get a Dial Up Internet connection, mobile Internet, or satellite Internet service to use in the event that your broadband service goes out.
7. Be aware of Internet usage restrictions: Some ISP’s won’t allow you to host a website and/or other uses that may be important to you.