Video games have become a prime source of entertainment for kids and a source of anxiety for many parents. They not only worry about the amount of time their children spend playing the games, but also the content. Even though these games are merely videos and fantasy, they’ve become very realistic in their depiction of violence, blood and gore. Kids may think its fun killing and maiming, but parents should be concerned about the affects these games could have on them. There are many video games kids love that are totally inappropriate for them to play.
- Grand Theft Auto – This game lets kids play the role of a criminal who commits a range of unlawful acts from auto theft to bank robbery and assassinations. Even though this game is extremely popular, Grand Theft Auto promotes a totally inappropriate role model for young children.
- Gears of War – This immensely popular video game has sold millions of copies and achieved awards for its detailed visuals. For just this reason, the graphic videos in this game should give parents pause. Even though the quest of the Delta Squad may be noble, the gore in Gears of War isn’t appropriate for young children.
- Dead Rising – Chopping up zombies is the main activity in the video game Dead Rising. Although it’s won many awards, the graphic violence glorified in this game is not something impressionable kids should be exposed to.
- Aliens vs. Predator – Set in a futuristic science-fiction world inhabited by aliens and predators, this violent video game is made for adults and not intended to be used by children of any ages. Unfortunately, that’s what makes it so attractive to kids.
- God of War – The massive blood orgies in this video game should be evident by the picture of the hero Kratos on the cover. This may be a great game for adults, but definitely not appropriate for kids.
- Resident Evil – Zombies abound in this survival horror video game. The blood and frightening imagery in Resident Evil may be popular with kids, but their parents may have a different opinion.
- Metal Gear Solid – Sneaking around slitting throats isn’t exactly a suitable activity for young impressionable kids. Parents should pass up Metal Gear Solid for their children’s Playstation game collection.
- Legacy of Kain – This series of video games was developed for adults and not intended for young children. Legacy of Kain depicts vampires killing each other in various settings and scenarios that are both complex and gory.
- Devil May Cry – This hack and slash video game may be popular, but Devil May Cry is not appropriate for kids. Playing a happy-go-lucky demon hunter gallivanting around killing all sorts of creepy-crawlies spawned from the depths of Hell isn’t the best role model for children.
- F.E.A.R. – Even thought the paranormal presence in this video game is a little girl, F.E.A.R. is not suitable for children. First Encounter Assault Recon uses a wide array of firearms and could give your kids nightmares.
Parents should make the ultimate decision on what video games their kids play and closely monitor them. Many of these sophisticated games are developed for adults and could have harmful affects on impressionable youngsters. Pay close attention to ratings and don’t succumb to pouting and pleading. There are plenty of games that are both fun and educational for kids to choose from.